Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Self Consciousness

Self-consciousness is an acute sense of self-awareness. It is a preoccupation with oneself, as opposed to the philosophical state of self-awareness, which is the awareness that one exists as an individual being. An unpleasant feeling of self-consciousness may occur when we realize that we are being watched or observed, the feeling that "everyone is looking" at us. Some people are habitually more self-conscious than others. Feelings of self-consciousness are sometimes associated with shyness or paranoia.

Impairment

When feeling self-conscious, one becomes aware of even the smallest of one's own actions. Such awareness can impair one's ability to perform complex actions. For example, a piano player may "choke", lose confidence, and even lose the ability to perform at the moment they notice the audience. This is a function of the psychological phenomenon of social facilitation. As self-consciousness fades one may regain the ability to "lose one's self".

Adolescence is believed to be a time of heightened self-consciousness. A person with a chronic tendency toward self-consciousness may be shy or introverted.

9 comments:

Dina said...

It's very nice that you published an article about "Self Consciousness". Your topic was is pleasant to read. May can learn things from that. I like it. It's clear and easy to understand.

robert said...

When I say your topic about "Self Consciousness", i read it immediately because you got one of the best topic i wanted to read. I'm sure that you will have more discussion about that. I wish i can read that soon. It's very nice.

conrad said...

Hi dhirendra,

You got remarkable article you published in your blog. You are right there, that self-coniousness are something associated with shyness. I'm a man but I'm always concious about myself. You discuss this clearly and very accurate.

liza said...

I read your article about "Self Conciousness". It's very encouraging. I will refer this article in all my friends. You go good quality of topics you have there. I hope you will have more to read..........And make if fast please. It's really very nice.

Leah said...

When i read your article about self consciousness, i agree with that. You explained it perfectly. I'm sure everyone can get interested in that.

sandy said...

Hello friend,
I just want to say that it's a wonderful thinking of that kind of article you have published in your blog. It's really very important to everyone. I'm sure you have other nice articles stuck there with your mind. I hope i can read that soon.

lalaine said...

Hello Dhirendra,
It’s my habit to use internet and to read some articles here. I also love to write. When I read your article it gives me interesting thoughts that I can write. Thanks for all the ideas

mariah said...

Of all articles I have read in a day, there’s one smile you don’t see, a smile not from the lips but straight from the heart, and that is reading your articles in your blog. It’s mind boggling.

Unknown said...

Knowledge is power, and I think I began to have that after reading your articles. I don’t get dull with your brainy article. Thanks for all of it..