Friday, November 7, 2008

I feel a oneness with Ahmedabad: Amjad Ali Khan

Good morning to all. I read this news to The Times of India where I get current knowledge about everything. It's a good feeling that someone feels oneness with our city.

When Ustad Amjad Ali Khan received the Mahatma Gandhi medal in Paris in 1995, he played a special raga composed as a tribute to Gandhi Bapu Kauns. That is the sarod maestro’s greatest attachment to Gujarat, his great admiration for the Mahatma. "I have great feelings for Gujarat primarily because of Mahatma Gandhi. I have great faith in his principles of non-violence and truth. I have played in Sabarmati Ashram and it has been an inspiring experience," says Amjad Ali Khan, who has often played the Mahatmas favourite songs Vaishnav jan to tene kahiye and Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram in his concerts.

He still fondly remembers his first concert in the city at Town Hall way back in 1959.

"I have come to Ahmedabad so many times as I feel a oneness with the city and its people. I have performed at Natrani, Shreyash, Premabhai Hall and many other places in the city. People of Ahmedabad have great interest in music and they just dont let you stop. Many a time, I have played the sarod for six hours still uthne hi nahi dete," says the ustad.

Last year, his sons, Amaan and Ayaan Ali Khan, performed at the Times Ahmedabad Festival. "They received love and applause in Ahmedabad and they were both happy with their experience," he adds. Taught by his father Haafiz Ali Khan, a musician to the royal family of Gwalior, Amjad Ali Khan believes that inspite of the invasion of television and films, classical music will never die. "Classical music is deep-rooted in our tradition and it will only rise. Today, we have the highest number of young disciples in the field of music and this shows the brighter side of classical music," he says.

No comments: