Saturday, October 4, 2008

Garba enthuses non-resident Gujarati, his bird

Good Evening friends,
It’s Garba time in Ahmedbad, Gujarat too. People are enjoying garba and as ending days are coming closer more and more people are invoving them self to garba.

I found Mr. Manu Patel, a Non Resident Gujarat His story is very very interesting and I like to share with you all my readers. I found that on Time of india website. When your pet shares your passion, life is all song and dance! Non-resident Gujarati Manu Patel comes to the city each year a month beforeManu Patel loves dancing garba, particularly with his friend Chiman Popat, a parrot.


Navratri. He paints the city all colours, dancing away the nine nights with his pet parrot perched on his shoulder. Garba is a passion for the 63-year-old. In fact, he even designs his own traditional wear. Settled in Canada, this gung-ho Gujarati sports a permanent tattoo on his biceps. He has been coming from Toronto for the past 15 years for the festival. Fondly called 'Dadaji', he bags awards each of nights of revelry. "I love dancing garba, particularly with my dear friend Chiman Popat. He accompanies me to all venues and while I dance, he sits on my shoulder and often breaks into sanedo (traditional garba song)," says Patel. He arrives at his house in Maninagar a month in advance to prepare for Navratri. "It takes me at least a month to design and embroider my dresses which make me look a typical Gujarati - be it a sanedo dress or a Rabari one," he says.



The proud Gujarati feels Navratri is a unique tradition that needs to be treasured. Nine days are not enough for him. "The festival should last 18 days. If I listen to a garba, my legs automatically start dancing," says the mesmerised NRG.

This year he has designed four traditional dresses and will start his first nortu (day of Navratri) at Rajpath Club. "I can't recollect how many awards I have received. Last year, I bagged first prize at garbas in Karnavati Club, Rajpath Club and many others. I basically do sheri garba, which I'm very fond of." The passionate Patel ensures he doesn't miss out on Gujarati lifestyle in chilly Canada. Gujarati thalis or richly embroidered bedcovers, he has them all. "I have told my sons that I would like to die in Gujarat doing sheri garba," says this dancer with a difference.
news and pic from TOI

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised with that woman. She is already old but still on fashion. Good attitude in life!